The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Regulations come into effect imminently.
So what is it all about and are you affected?
ESOS is the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme, a new set of legislations that requires all large companies and charities (those employing more than 250 people or with an annual turnover of more than 50 million euro and an annual balance sheet total of 43 million euro or more) to audit their energy consumption and present reports on it every four years. If you are a smaller organisation but part of a corporate group that includes you may still be affected. 1
What is different about ESOS is that as well as calculating your total energy consumption you are required to provide detailed breakdown of at least 90% of your energy use over various assets and activities and compile it into an energy consumption profile which you then analyse to identify various energy saving opportunities. The identified energy-saving opportunities have to be cost-effective, such that the cost of implementing them would not exceed the expected savings that could be made. However, it is not required that the organization implement these identified opportunities unless they so wish.
How can you make it work for you?
Legislation like this means a lot of data collection and analysing, what is more, the first report based on 12 months of data is due on 5th December 2015 and will need to cover at least 12 months of data so time is short. Building Sustainability Limited can provide metering and software solutions that can help reduce the strain this legislation could potentially place on your organisation.
Our sub-metering solutions allow automated collection of energy use data across your assets and activities for auditing:
- – going a long way to account for 90% of your total energy use, as stipulated by ESOS regulations
- – allowing landlords to separate their energy consumption data from their tenants’, reducing the amount of data they have to analyse
And our software solutions:
- – compile this data into energy consumption profiles
- – calculate your total metered energy consumption
- – allow you to access your data for the entire lifetime of your contract with us (facilitating compilation and maintenance of ESOS evidence packs)
- – provide you with a blog feature (on which you can keep records of implemented energy saving policies for inclusion in your ESOS reports)
- – allow you to access our consultancy service for assistance in identification of further energy saving opportunities
With significant experience in providing energy saving strategies to clients over the years, Building Sustainability is uniquely positioned to help you get ready and to convert an exercise in complying with legislation into significant savings for your organisation.
1(Check out section 3.3 of the official ESOS guidance booklet available online at https://www.gov.uk/government/
uploads/system/uploads/ attachment_data/file/323307/ ESOS_Guide_FINAL.pdf for more details on which small organisations are affected).
- 17 Jul, 2014
- Building Sustainability